First off, this not a whinging moaning message: I'm interested to see if other people have similar problems to the ones I've had, and I'm trying to be constructive.
I've been playing with/testing U1 using 4 machines.
In general it works but I have lots of occasional problems.
Conflicts ... For a file that hasn't changed for a few days, I make a change and it becomes a conflict file. Why? All 4 machines where consistent until I edited the file on one machine.
Files not uploading ... Certain files just don't upload. No clue why. I've looked at the ini (ignore_default) file, and checked the files names to make sure that they don't match.
Files/Directories disappearing ... could be connected to the conflict problem but whole directory trees just disappear! I have now started to keep a local copy of everything in the U1 directory, 'just in case'. This is not optimal.
Now, because of these problem, I have installed a few tools to help me look at what is going on. Could they be making things worse? Magicicana and ubuntuone-indicator.
Also I have a few shell files to monitor the log .
tail -f ~/.cache/ubuntuone/log/syncdaemon.log
and the current transfers
u1sdtool --current-transfers sleep 20 u1xfer
Plus very occasionally when things are looking bad I use the following ..
u1sdtool -q find ~/.local/share/ubuntuone/syncdaemon -depth -type d -empty -delete u1sdtool --start u1sdtool -c
Although I avoid that and it was not used when the conflict problem(s) occurred.
I've not mentioned the Windows client. I would like this and I want it to work, but I've ignored it for now as it's Beta. I have tried it but all these problems occurred without the Windows client involved. Ultimately a working reliable Windows client is a must-have but I know that this is a 'Work in Progress' and 'don't run before you can walk' applies.
Any advice or thoughts about my problems would be gratefully received.
As a normal user I would have thought that DropBox users are a target audience for U1 and I, for one, would love to stop using DropBox. (DropBox client is not installed on any of the 4 test machines )
Thanks for bearing with me through with this long message!
Thank you for your thoughts, I'm comparing U1 to the more established, sync software out there, DropBox and SpiderOak (Thanks Allan, I had already spotted this, but thanks anyway )
As I said in the Post DropBox 'just works' and with my admittedly brief encounter with SpiderOak that also 'just Works'.
Maybe I'm looking too hard, but for example when a file has been stable for 4 days across all 4 of my test systems ( and on the Web Site ), an edit to the file causes a conflict, I just can't put that into the 'just works' category.
I'm trying to discuss the problems with a positive spin, I don't consider U1 yet to be of 'industrial strength' but I would like it to be and I would be happy to help in any way I can. There is no point in burying our heads in the sand and repeating the Mantra 'UbuntuOne is great', if it isn't.
As an example some people I know, new to this file syncing, just don't trust it and don't use it -- bring out the old USB stick is their response. Having had this negative attitude now, it will take a lot to bring them around. They had been doing things like editing files in the U1 Directory which as you said is asking for problems, but if no-one tells them they're going to lose faith in the technology, as it doesn't seem to work for them.