Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Closing a tab in firefox or chrome using the middle-mouse button is, for me, a great feature.

How can I make this work with applications in Ubuntu and the opened application panel?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Well, what you can do is to enable a desktop corner in compiz to show your windows (you can do it with ubuntu-tweak) and use the middle button to close it. I know it's not the same but it's really productive.

share|improve this answer
What a great trick ! I did not know this feature and you're right this is very productive. – teo96 Oct 10 '10 at 14:39

I use talika applet ( instead of windows list on gnome panel and the default behavior is that.

share|improve this answer
I Will give a look to talika, i saw that it comes with thumbnail preview too. – teo96 Oct 10 '10 at 17:07
it shows only icons of windows, and i didn't find how to make it show titles to, that's why it is not suitable for replacement – Mikl Mar 10 '11 at 1:44

You can configure middle-clicking the title bar in gconf-editor, but closing the app is not among the options:


This option determines the effects of middle-clicking on the title bar. Current valid options are 'toggle_shade', which will shade/unshade the window, 'toggle_maximize' which will maximize/unmaximize the window, 'toggle_maximize_horizontally' and 'toggle_maximize_vertically' which will maximize/unmaximize the window in that direction only, 'minimize' which will minimize the window, 'shade' which will roll the window up, 'menu' which will display the window menu, 'lower' which will put the window behind all the others, and 'none' which will not do anything.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.