This question already has an answer here:
- How do I install the Nvidia drivers? 11 answers
Last week i tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 and i have a problem i cannot solve.
Mit Grafics Card is an Nvidia 9500GS which worked well with Ubuntu, Compiz and stuff before.
- i installed Ubuntu 11.04 from the life cd besides an Windows 7 Home Premium
- When i boot up ubuntu everything seems to be right
- The logon screen appears
- When i log in the screen is black in an interval of less then a second i can see the gui elements (panels, desktop icons etc.. flickering).
- The only way i can shutdown the system now is doing it the hardware-way
What i tryied so far (1. Attemp):
- i logged into the Safe-Mode which works well
- i tryied to install the nvidia properitary drivers through the gui this does not work saying "Can't find a valid source for the driver"
- i activated the nvidia driver through the console with jockey which worked. In the gui there was the green dot then
- rebooting, trying to log in again Same Problem
What i tryied so far (2. Attemp):
- so i rembered that in some versions of ubuntu in the past i had to install fresh nvidia drivers downloaded from their website.
- i downloaded the drivers from nvidia
- tryied to start them (unfortunately the installation process requires to switch off X Server) which i tried by the way i knew (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop). Which tells me "Use sudo service gdm stop" or something similar. I tried that without success.
- Then i tried to switch to a console without gui by hitting "strg+alt+f1" but this results in eternal black. I can then switch back to the gui through "strg+alt+f7".
So the problem with my second attemp is, that i can't get a console without a gui and i can't install nvidia drivers with the gui ant i can't shutdown the gui while being in the gui (spooky)...
So do you have any ideas, what i did wrong or what i could try to get this fixed again? Maybe its not a Graphics Problem at all and you know better?