Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a OQO I'm converting to Natty.

I have a screen resolution problem on the native LCD screen. I have some indication that xforcevesa will allow the system to get the proper resolution information for my machine.

Where do I put this? What does the syntax look like?

share|improve this question
What graphics card/chipset do you have? – wojox Jul 16 '11 at 1:45

You can put it into /etc/default/grub. To open the file for editing, run

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

locate the following line and put xforcevesa between the quotes:


save and exit when done, then run the following for the change to take effect

sudo update-grub
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.