Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for something to easily measure the height/width of items on screen in pixels.

share|improve this question
Hi @Craig , if some of the answers provided solved your needs, could you please mark it as accepted? – JorgeArtware Jul 15 '13 at 2:54
See this answer to a similar question: – FairMiles Feb 10 '15 at 18:06

There are two packages in the repositories:

I haven't tried either of them, but they might be what you're looking for.

share|improve this answer
I installed screenruler after reading this comment. It works well. – koanhead Oct 8 '10 at 0:16
Screenruler for Gnome (Ubuntu), and kruler for KDE (Kubuntu) – LassePoulsen Oct 8 '10 at 8:34
Whoah! +1 screenruler! this is awesome! This is a very necessary tool for desktop-customization and obsessive UI tweakers, like ms gamerchick. ;D – emf Oct 8 '10 at 17:11
I will comment something I just found: Screenruler is good, but does not show a number of pixels by default, just a hardly-visible tiny hashmarks. you have to right click and set "track mouse" to do this. – emf Oct 8 '10 at 17:12
Glad to help out. :) I hope it helped the OP. – gamerchick02 Oct 8 '10 at 19:23

Screen Ruler, which can be found in your Ubuntu Software Center is great. But there is also another excellent tool that is available from installing Screenlets from the software center. Just type "ruler" in the search box after installing screenlets.

share|improve this answer

Well if you are going to use it for web design or web development then I would use the Web Developer extension within the FireFox Web browser. It also has tons of other useful tools which can be very helpful in your designs or development. It works great for CSS designs.

Take a look at it here . I also think they have it for Chrome. This will provide you with a great on screen ruler for all your design projects.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.