Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I have installed Windows 7 and ubuntu 12.04 as dual boot on my 320 GB laptop. I have three partitions. 200 GB - Window's 7 is installed in it. 100 GB - NTFS partition (un used). 20 GB - Ubuntu 12.04.

I can access 100 GB (new volume) both in windows and ubuntu 12.04.

I am running out of ubuntu disk space. How can I extend/increase 20 GB to 120 GB by using 100 GB(unused) disk space?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Rod Smith, Wilf, Sylvain Pineau, Warren Hill, Luis Alvarado Jul 27 '14 at 16:57

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

If the 100 GB partition is contiguous with the 20 GB partition, then you can do this fairly easily:

Boot from a live CD/USB

open a terminal alt+ctrl+t

get gparted

sudo apt-get install gparted

run gparted, and choose to resize your Ubuntu partition.

If the free space is not contiguous with the Ubuntu partition, you may need to move things about a bit.

Before you do these things, make a backup of both of your systems - there's always a possibility of things going awry, and Windows does not like to have it's partitions messed about with very much.

share|improve this answer
what kind of live CD/USB do you recommend? – Yevgeniy Afanasyev Jul 27 '15 at 0:06
I think that the minimum size USB has to be 4 GB, and I use standard DVD's for boot purposes. I have had occasional trouble with some USB devices, but I have quite a few of the smaller devices lying around and just pick another. – Charles Green Jul 27 '15 at 13:55
@[Charles Green] Could we not run the gparted from inside the ubuntu which is installed? What issue could it cause ? – kairav Nov 14 '15 at 18:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.