Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On the Mac, I use Command+` (the tilde) to cycle through windows in the current application (eg terminal or chrome). It's like Alt+Tab except only for the current application's windows. Possibly for Compiz but without any flashy Exposé like graphics?

share|improve this question

Alt - (Key above tab) and Shift -Alt-(Key above tab) do this by default.

The desktop will map whatever key is above the tab key to do this, on US keyboards it's the ` key.

share|improve this answer
Can you do this with compiz? I can't find the appropriate setting. – lmichelbacher Mar 2 '12 at 19:26

In Xfce you can use Super + Tab (super is the "Windows" key on Microsoft keyboards). Not sure if this works in other window managers.

share|improve this answer

In Ubuntu 12.04, by default, Super+above tab does this.

share|improve this answer

Alt+ Window Number.

For example Alt+1 for first window. Alt+2 for second window etc...

In firefox and chrome you can also use Ctrl+Tab

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.