Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

On the byobu Wikipedia page there is a screenshot with the terminal screen:

Link to terminal screen using byobu

  1. Can somebody explain me what programs are used here?
    My guess - at the bottom - vim, top right - terminal, top left - I don't know.

  2. And how to make such byobu screen?

share|improve this question
top left program is htop, a persistent version of top. It lists running processes and hardware load, and allows you to search processes, send them signals, ... –  Ploutox Jul 8 '14 at 9:38
@Ploutox: top is also persistent :S –  progo Jul 8 '14 at 16:06

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

1 . Can somebody explain me what programs are used here?

  • Program top left is the command htop (is similar to command top)
  • Program top right is indeed a terminal and the bottom one is indeed vim

2 . And how to make such byobu screen?

  • Horizontal split: Ctrl+A S
  • Vertical split: Ctrl+A | (there is a vertical screen patch that switches the shortcut to Ctrl+A V)
  • To move the focus to the next split: Ctrl+A Tab

Some more shortcuts.

share|improve this answer
The shortcuts have changed since. See help.ubuntu.com/community/Byobu Shift+F2 and Ctrl+F2 split the screen horizontally and vertically respectively. Moving focus is done with Shift+Arrow Key (left, right, up, down) depending on the focus switch you want to do. –  GroundZero 9 hours ago

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.