Sign up ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free.

I have recently installed Narwhal.

Everything seems to look good so far, but as usual sound via PulseAudio is deeply unsatisfactory; scratchy sound from Skype, choppy sound from command line apps, etc. So I've removed it, and sound now works fine.

Unfortunately I now discover that the standard Gnome mixer applet has changed to being PulseAudio-only, and trying to run it just hangs waiting for a PulseAudio connection.

Does anyone know of a replacement volume control applet that I could use which manipulates the ALSA mixer directly?

I've found xfce4-volumed, which handles the hotkeys very nicely (once I disable the keyboard shortcuts in Gnome), but of course the XFCE4 mixer applet isn't compatible with Gnome so I can't use that; and there appears to be nothing else readily apparent...

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by James Feb 27 '12 at 0:59

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This question appears to be abandoned, if you are experiencing a similar issue please ask a new question with details pertaining to your problem. If you feel this question is not abandoned, please flag the question explaining that. :) – Ringtail Feb 26 '12 at 23:02

1 Answer 1

Have you tried "alsamixergui - graphical soundcard mixer for ALSA soundcard driver" or "gnome-alsamixer - ALSA sound mixer for GNOME" if you're running GNOME?

P.S. "gamix - Graphical sound mixer for ALSA" that too.

To see everything try sudo apt-cache search alsa mixer :]

share|improve this answer
That's a mixer application, and not an applet. I'm looking for something that will sit in my panel and show me the current volume, provide a quick way to get at the mixer, etc. – David Given Jun 17 '11 at 10:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.