Our home desktop computer (running ubuntu 11.04) is used mainly by two users, my wife and me. We have the screensaver to lock the screen when inactive.
Now, 60% of the times when we switch from one user to the other it seems that all the running applications of one user are closed.
The procedure is like this:
- The computer is idle with both users logged in.
- The screen is blank (due to inactivity)
- I move the mouse to wake the screen.
- The login window with the user name of my wife appears.
- I click the "Switch User" button.
- The main login window appears (with both user names)
- Both usernames contain a green checkbox (marking that the indicated users are logged in)
- I click my name and enter my password.
- The screen blanks for a few seconds and then the login window (with the two usernames) appears again.
- The green checkbox has been removed from my name.
- I select my name and enter password, again.
- Login succeeds but ALL my applications are closed, as if I logged in for the first time.
This is getting very annoying because I constantly lose the state of work. Chrome also complains that it didn't shut down correctly and if I want the restored the closed tabs.
Where do I start looking for a possible fix...?