It is not always possible to edit and create files in a terminal , and I would like to get answers of the basics of manipulating files in a terminal using vim under Ubuntu Linux. Specific questions I have are:
- How can I open text files for editing?
- How can I save the file?
- How can I save the file with a different name?
- How can I leave the file without saving the changes?
- What settings are best in my configuration file and where is this file?
- How do I set the colors for vim?
- How do I show line numbers in vim and can this be toggled?
A lot of questions here but I believe these questions and their answers should cover basic vim usage.