Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am currently using Oracle SQL Developer, and it is driving me nuts.

I keep getting the message Connection is busy when trying to anything after being inactive in some minutes. Sometimes pressing ctrl + shift + n does the trick, but other times it won't do.

Other times the graphics in text components get distorted. I'm using Sun's JDK (6).

Are there any other alternatives?

share|improve this question
What version of SQL Developer do you use? There's a thread were an Oracle employee recommends 3.0 EA1. Otherwise you could try Tora. – elmicha Jun 2 '11 at 9:54
I use 3.0 already. Also, both your links point to the same URL. :) – whirlwin Jun 2 '11 at 21:57
Oops, the link to Tora should have been this one. – elmicha Jun 2 '11 at 22:05
You might apply fix sql database makes the work with sql data pleasure, owns advanced suite of features – user147078 Apr 5 '13 at 17:53
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Unless you absolutely must use Oracle's product, there are many combinations of programming language and database engine that will probably meet your needs. Surely if you are already using Java you could just program your logic in that language and make your queries against a Postgres database, for example.

I apologize if I've misunderstood your question. If you necessarily must use PL/SQL then there is a list of possible alternatives at Unfortunately I don't see anything in that list that looks likely to meet your needs apart from Toad For Oracle, which is apparently a non-free product.

share|improve this answer
I'm having an exam in PL/SQL (unfortunately), so I'm bound to use PL/SQL. – whirlwin Jun 2 '11 at 8:27

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.