I've been trying for the past 3 days and am infuriated at all those failures. This makes 8 DVDs I've burned using a variety of methods, including those from the official Ubuntu page and nothing works. When I follow these instructions I get the error:
Could not find a medium with live file system
I am burning this on a Windows 7 to install over a Windows XP computer. The XP computer can NOT boot via USB thumbdrive, so I must do it via a DVD.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
- I pop in the DVD, right click the ISO then click "Burn image disc" as per the prior link's instructions. It burns correctly.
- I put it in the XP computer the "Demo & Installation" window opens, I select "Restart now" it restarts, opens the 'loading' Ubuntu page. then goes to a black error screen saying it can not find a medium with live file system.
What am I doing wrong here?
I've also tried:
- burning the ISO pure;
- burning the ISO extracted manually;
- burning the ISO pure via software;
- extracting the iso files and burning via software.
I've also burned the DVD manually with the live file system where I get an error saying it's missing the "/ubuntu/install/custom-installation" file.
I desperately need to install a new OS on that PC as I do not have the original Windows installation discs (salvaging the PC from a family member who threw them out).
I do not even get to start the installation, by the way. I get no control before it shows either of these errors and then I must force reboot with the power button
As Princess Leia once said: "Help me Ubuntu Community, you're our only hope!"