Actually the mistake is on my part, I didn't follow the steps correctly.hwinfo method is not working, however the next one works.
- While booting the system, press shift to enter into the grub and press c to enter into the console
- type videoinfo
- Note down the best supported resolution eg. 1024x768x32
- Now press esc and boot normally.login and go the terminal.
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub .
- A text file will open. Search for the line #GRUB_GFXMODE=
- Replace #GRUB_GFXMODE= with
Save the text file. Enter the following commands
echo "FRAMEBUFFER=y" | sudo tee -a /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
Thats it. Now restart the system.
I have one query though. Why is the supported resoulution is much less that tmy screen resolution. In my case max resolution is 1600x1200x32, where as my screen resolution is 1920x1080 though it is better then the default 640x480