For some reason, my Ubuntu 12.04 recently became very slow.
- HP laptop, core 2 duo T6600, 2.20 Ghz x2
- Ati radeon
- 2 GB RAM
Symptoms in Unity 3d:
- Dash takes endless to open
- Applications take a long time to open
- Often screen freezes
Symptoms in Unity 2d:
- Same as above but less frequent
What I already checked:
- Driver is xserver
- Tested hardware for 3d compatibility: I get for all positions "yes", for both Unity 3d and Unity 2d
When the problems occur:
- CPU load for both cpus about 25%, which is not much
- RAM swappiness = 10 (changing the value not really matters)
- RAM is almost always on 90%
It is slow on all applications, but most problems occur when I try to open RAW images from an external hard drive.
I am really clueless what could be the reason.
THX for your help Eric