Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a way to share my user profile between Windows 7 and Ubuntu as guest OS inside VMWare.

Are there any caveats for such an odd marriage, particularly in using NTFS with Ubuntu, on directories that will be written by by both OSes (Firefox profile, etc.)?

[EDIT] I know about VMWare's "shared folders" feature, what I'm asking if there are any caveats associated with doing something like this, ie. having Ubuntu use NTFS as the home dir, and having it potentially modify things Windows might not be happy about.

share|improve this question
Expect performance slower if you use a Shared Folder as your home dir. The file and folder permissions are the only one will not work in my opinion. If I were you, I wouldn't map the Shared Folder directly to my home folder, but symlink the wanted folders one by one from the shares. – Iradrian May 24 '11 at 7:21

You can use the "Shared Folders" feature of WMware. You can read more here: Using Shared Folders.

share|improve this answer

An option could be syncing your folders with UbuntuOne, Dropbox or some other app.

share|improve this answer
In my situation I need to have changes reflected live, and not be dependent on an Internet connection. – Andrei May 22 '11 at 20:57
This is really a comment, not an answer to the question. Please use "add comment" to leave feedback for the author. – atenz Aug 20 '12 at 18:27
@tijybba While not suitable to this OP's particular needs, this does answer the question as asked, and it may help others searching with similar problems. I see no good reason for this to be deleted or converted to a comment. – Eliah Kagan Sep 6 '12 at 13:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.