Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How much disk space is allocated in Ubuntu 12.04 if new user is added? I have 500GB completely allocated for Ubuntu. If a new user is added then how much disk space will be allocated for him?

share|improve this question
By 'allocated' do you mean how much space is available for the user, or how much they initially use? There are answers for both meanings. – deltab Apr 2 '14 at 15:20
up vote 17 down vote accepted

There is no limitations by default. The new user can take all of free space unless you install special quota program. To install it in Ubuntu, you have to write in Terminal:

sudo apt-get install quota

There are plenty of tutorials on how to use quota in Linux around the Internet, just search "quota ubuntu". For quick start, you may use this tutorial.

share|improve this answer
K thank you sir for giving info – MaheshK Apr 5 '14 at 9:03
@MaheshK, if this answer is valid for you, mark it as an answer to your question – Rodislav Apr 5 '14 at 16:13
Actually i searched in google and different websites but i did not get answer. thats why i asked question here. – MaheshK Apr 7 '14 at 5:24
@MaheshK: If my answer was helpful to you, then please consider marking it as the accepted answer so others may more easily find it in the future. This is also a polite way to thank the person answering your question for helping you out. – Danatela Apr 7 '14 at 5:27
There is a green tick under votes. – Danatela Apr 7 '14 at 5:27

When a new user is created some KByte for his personal folder are allocated.

When the users uses his account some more space is used for config files, caches etc. Depending on the programs used and their settings (like browser cache size) this may grow into a few GByte.

Usually the biggest thing are the personal files a user stores in his account.

share|improve this answer

In a default Ubuntu install everything is installed into one big partition (after setting aside some for swap), so the system and all users will share the one big space.

There are no per-user limits by default except that regular users are not permitted any more space once 95% of the partition is filled. This leaves the remaining 5% usable only by system processes such as temporary files, logs etc. On a modern drive of multi-terabyte size this 5% is usually overkill and you can reduce this as described here although hopefully there is no need.

As mentioned in the other answer you can turn on quotas in Linux which does allow you to configure per-user quotas but I've found this to be quite complicated. There may be a graphical front-end that I'm not aware of that may make it easier.

share|improve this answer
Thank you for all of you for answers – MaheshK Apr 5 '14 at 9:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.