Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use a piece of software on my mac called Size Up, which you can see here:

It allows me to control the position of windows on screen using only my keyboard. I'd really love something like this for Ubuntu, but can't find anything of the sort. Any recommendations?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I think the compiz grid plugin does exactly that ... you can access it through the CCSM interface

If you do not have it then go to the software center and search for ccsm ( it will be the first one; starting with "Advanced")

Open it when/if installed and go to the "grid" plugin; insert wanted parameters to your choice.

Hope it works for you!

btw, CCSM stands for "Compiz Config Settings Manager"

share|improve this answer
Love it! Grid works great for me after some troubleshooting – Bradley Powers May 27 '11 at 16:44
Best to search the software center for "Compiz." If you search for "ccsm" you will get a German magazine (Ausgabe) selling for US $10.50 :) – Reb.Cabin Sep 17 '15 at 15:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.