After using Unity for a while, I realized that its not for me and I switched to Classic interface, but there are some issues which I think, make it worse compared to 10.10. Here are the problems I'm facing. Note: I have Nautilus Elementary installed.
- Panel shadow looks artificial (one can observe its sudden appearance when restoring or minimizing the maximized windows).
- When using default Ambiance theme, shadow depth remains constant no matter what I set in Compiz's Window Decorations Plug-in. (solved)
- Nautilus context menu (and also standard menus) drop-shadows are not showing up at all.(solved)
- Mouse cursor theme cannot be changed, which reminds me of the issue I faced in 10.04. (solved, kinda...)
- Evolution does not remember the width of Message list pane and every time I open it, I sets the width to default (quite large to fit the message view).
Considering the above troubles, I'm really thinking of reverting back to 10.10 which was perfect as far as classic Ubuntu interface is concerned, but I don't want to loose my fresh installation. What can I do to solve the issues I mentioned?
While waiting for any helpful answer, I was googling over the issues I was facing and somehow, managed to solve some issues from the above list. Which is as follows:
Nautilus Elementary Drop Shadows
That was due to some problem between RGBA and Compiz, so it can be solved by disabling apps/nautilus/preferences/rgba_colormap from gconf-editor. Source here.
Deep Ambiance Shadows
Having deep shadows in Ambiance theme is hard-coded, thus it overrides any settings that you have in compiz. So, one can change that by editing Metacity Theme configuration file of Ambiance. Source here.
Changing Mouse Cursors
While the solution of this issue might not be a preferred way, but works if you really want to change the cursor (like me). You can do it using following command in Terminal and select Cursor theme from the list.
sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
So, that's all I have managed to solve, and Evolution issue and panel shadow issue still exists. Any help regarding for them and more "elegant" way to change mouse cursors in 11.04 is welcome.