Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In case there were some problems during the last apt-get operation, is there a command that checks if something has to be continued in apt-get?

share|improve this question
If you get a dpkg lock error, see here. – Wilf Feb 24 '14 at 11:23
Quite often apt-get suggests what needs to be done if something has gone wrong. – DK Bose Feb 24 '14 at 11:29
apt-get doesen't suggest anything here, but aptitude does, but a very strange suggestion on my laptop:… – rubo77 Feb 24 '14 at 11:59
Depends where it was interrupted. Sometimes you interrupt dpkg sometimes you interrupt apt-get. apt-get itself can be interrupted any time since it's just an frontend for dpkg, dpkg otherwise is not for some operations. – Braiam Feb 24 '14 at 16:04
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Use the command:

sudo apt-get -f install

If it doesn't work than you can reconfigure all the packages with:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a
share|improve this answer
I think reconfiguring all packages is not such a good idea and takes hours of manual work – rubo77 Feb 24 '14 at 11:51
is it the same with sudo aptitude -f install? – rubo77 Feb 24 '14 at 11:52
@rubo77: no, it is not the same but something similar. – Frantique Feb 24 '14 at 12:02
On my problem the -f doesent make any difference, woth or without, I get no errors with apt-get but with atṕtitude, see:… – rubo77 Feb 24 '14 at 12:04
Forget about aptitude, that works a little bit different. – Frantique Feb 24 '14 at 12:46

In addition to the response by @Frantique, I would like to add:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

That solved my issue when the upgrade was interrupted during the process.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.