When I attempt to wake up my laptop from suspend mode the display consistently displays a strange black and white, slightly noisy and glitchy pattern. Here is the photo I took from my phone:
- You can see my mouse cursor appear over the pattern and yes I can move the cursor around but only sometimes.
- I've tried to start terminal via keyboard shortcut but nothing appears to happen.
- I've also tried accessing the drop menus in the top bar but nothing shows.
- Sometimes as I move my cursor around I can see weird color glitch streaks where my cursor moves but that is it.
- Sometimes my ability to move the cursor with my mouse or track pad will just go away unexpectedly.
At this point my only option is to hold down the power button to shut down.
- MSI EX600 (MS-16362) Laptop
- 2.0 GiB RAM
- Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz × 2
- Gallium 0.4 on NV86 graphics
- 32-bit Ubuntu 13.10
- NVIDIA GeForce 8400 G 256mb
- Little to no battery lie (often the battery indicator is red)
When I first installed 13.10 I followed a suggesting to add tested proprietary drivers to my system and opened Software & Updates and chose NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library from nvidia-319 (proprietary, tested) as the driver to my laptops NVIDIA G86M [GeForce 8400M G] graphics card. After I did that and restarted, everything on the display was being stretched wide and appearing much bigger to the point that some of the objects on the screen were not fitting on. It was so bad to the point where I couldn't access critical features of Ubuntu and just decided to reinstall 13.10. So I've decided to stay with the default open source X.Org Xserver driver which seems to work fine for the most part. On some sites I will get some glitching in flash videos at certain aspect ratios but besides that it works fine.
One thought is that because my battery is not working well anymore and often appearing at 0% my laptop can not successfully wake up from suspend mode. I should mention that when I put my laptop into suspend mode, I keep the power cord attached so power is always getting to it. I was thinking to buy a new battery but I am not 100% certain it is the issue.
Any ideas on how to make my laptop successfully wake up from suspend?