the function "print to file" doesn't have any output. I want to print for example a web page just as pdf. when the print dialogue is open, i select "print to file". a progress bar is displayed and finishes, but a pdf can't be found anywhere. my file manager is nautilus.
This could be more a workaround than an answer, but I think it is worth knowing so I post it here.
I often find that the option "print to file"can be quite flaky. The best method to print to PDF in my opinion is the following:
1) install a virtual PDF printer:
2) Now you have a printer called "PDF" that you can choose.
3) Printing in that printer will result in a
1) This is seen as a normal printer. ALL programs that can print can print to it, so you do not need the "print to file" option. For example you can easily do
and have a pdf file with the output of your command.
1) Move files from there because if you print a file multiple times the last version will overwrite previous ones. This is avoidable with a little configuration file editing --- just open the file
2) you do not decide the file name, and you need to move it where you want it. (It seems it can be solved, but it's quite convoluted).
3) Sometime upgrading the system disables the printer. Don't know why. Reinstalling
4) Color management and quality control is tricky.