Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On Windows, I use the AltGr key to input european characters into my text when contacting foreign clents. Is there a way of getting the same function in Ubuntu?

share|improve this question
Please elaborate on what exactly you do with those characters. I didn't get the problem. – Octavian Damiean May 4 '11 at 16:09
A duplicate of this question, perhaps? – loevborg May 4 '11 at 16:40
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You are looking for the Compose Key.

For 11.04 go to system settings; keyboard; layout and click options. Now find Compose Key and set it to Right Alt.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.