So I am getting a message
Could not update ICEauthority file /home/me/.ICEauthority
When trying to log into ubuntu graphical. Terminal works (ctrl alt f1)
not a duplicate of:
In my case my .ICEauthority is
-rw------- 1 me me ...
Things I tried to do to fix this:
- reset the ICE file's permissions in case something was messed up that I did not notice.
- delete the file (no new one was created)
- touch a new file after the orig was deleted
- looks like my home directory was owned by root. fixing did not help.
- .ecryptfs has correct permissions on my home directory
- autologin is off, never was turned on
- fresh install so no password changes (i'd prefer not to re-install my os because I did spend a day setting it up)
- only weirdness found was: /home/.ecryptfs/me/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase is
-rw------- 1 me root 48 .....however that should not be an issue or so it would seem due to permissions
I installed gnome after installing the system
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
never booted into it (or anything else rather except for tty) successfully
Looks like so far nothing good coming out of this. Unfortunately if I can't solve this I will just reinstall the distro :(