Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just installed the latest Ubuntu 13.10 and I'm trying to figure out what drivers I should install and how to do it. I have an integrated Intel GPU and a Nvidia GeForce GT 650M that should work together according to the Optimus technology. The software updater doesn't show any additional third-party driver available, though, and this makes me think that maybe there are no drivers for Linux 3.11 yet. So the question is: do I have to install additional drivers over the ones preinstalled by the system? If yes, where can I find them?

Thank you and please forgive the mistakes I could have done, but I'm completely new to Linux and I'm trying to get started..

share|improve this question
I think there are libraries filled with books about this issue. There is a huge post committed about nVidia & Linux found here askubuntu.com/questions/36930/… –  Nkciy84 Dec 21 '13 at 15:20
Thanks. Since I have Windows and Ubuntu in dual-boot and I primarily use Windows, I don't care if Optimus isn't supported by Linux, but the nVidia GPU always on causes the laptop to overheat and drain the battery terribly fast. Is there a SECURE method to disable it ONLY in Ubuntu leaving it enabled in Windows? –  ytsjm Dec 21 '13 at 17:59
I think you should realy consider using bumblebee. This program disables your graphics optimus card and enables it only when you specificaly request using the card through the optirun command. The solution that did the trick for me was this askubuntu.com/questions/367726/… –  Nkciy84 Dec 24 '13 at 20:19
By the way I use an Asus N76VM with geforce gt 630m so we have pretty similar configuration of conputer –  Nkciy84 Dec 24 '13 at 20:21
Also, for better battery management, download TLP after configuring bumblebee –  Nkciy84 Dec 24 '13 at 21:04
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.