I cannot get Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit ISO installed on a Lenovo Ideapad U330p (i5 core, SSD) preinstalled with Windows 8, by using a Ubuntu USB live stick.
- I tried various live usb creators (the build-in one crashes, but the rest Live USB Creator, mkusb script, etc work ok).
- I tried also with various UEFI / Secure boot options in bios (no secure boot, no uefi = legacy), with no luck.
- I tried also with EFI, and without the EFI folder on the USB and legacy bios install, no luck.
The most I can achieve is to get the Ubuntu live usb first screen with the Ubuntu options shown, but then with any option I choose (Try, or Install) after a few seconds I am left with a black screen, and nothing happens, no matter how much I wait. I have then to power off the machine.
I am not sure this is related to UEFI, but it does not seem like.
Does anyone has any experience with this type of machine - Lenovo Ideapad U330p?
Preferably, I would like to get rid of the preinstalled copy of Windows 8 completely and install only Ubuntu there (I do not want a dual-boot system, but I can live with dual-boot system if than is the only way). Any install mode (legacy or UEFI, MBR / GDI) will do.
Update: Some details (I have read all relevant ubuntu/uefi related links here, and in ubuntu wiki):
- I disabled win8 fast boot and hibernate
- I have disabled secure boot
- I tested with uefi and also with disabled uefi (legacy)
- I tried with Ubuntu usb with EFI folder, and renamed EFI folder
- I tried with various programs to create the Ubuntu USB
With some of these combinations it does not work, but with UEFI and secure boot disabled - I see the grub-like menu, and without UEFI at all I see the boot screen with options. However, no matter what option I choose, it freezes (screen becomes black after one second or so after that), and only the power off button works. Some people say this is graphics driver issue (for other models) - but would be nice to know if someone has any experience with my model.
Some of the links I read:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI Installing Ubuntu on a Pre-Installed Windows 8 (64-bit) System (UEFI Supported) http://elabualg.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/dual-boot-ubuntu-and-windows-8-uefi/ UEFI boot results in a black screen Dual boot problem, black screen during the ubuntu boot UEFI 13.04 install on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p boots Windows instead