With the following method I was able to brick 2 different Surface Pros with the exact same methods.
- you shrink your partition on Windows and disable those 2 secure-boot/uefi settings from the advanced startup screen.
- boot from a usb stick and install Ubuntu as you should (wireless not working as reported).
- after the installation completes, reboot (by holding the power down because it hangs while restarting)
- grub loads as usual, ubuntu login screen appears. but once you hit your keyboard a few times for your password entry it hangs.
- so once again hold power down to shutdown, and then reboot again.
- BANG! As soon as the Surface Pro starts, it now reports low battery warning and shuts itself. Battery is full btw. No matter you plug in the charger, the machine is stuck, it always reports the battery low and you're stuck.
That's how I bricked two Surface Pro's in two days. Any help regarding a recovery operation would be great.