Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does the Ubuntu Software Center has some mechanism available to the developers to issue redeem codes (coupons) for commercial applications so that they can be downloaded (and kept updated) via USC for free?

The use case I'm interested in is when a user purchased a license previously on another platform and now wants to use the application on Ubuntu -- it just wouldn't be right to ask them to purchase again.

It seems that some mechanism is in place, because Humble Indie Bundle apparently used it (see here or here or here, but I don't see anything related in MyApps. That could be because it's still in draft stage, but other bits of UI that aren't functional yet either are already visible there.

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

No, there are no such redemption mechanisms in Software Center.

However, for games that are in Steam, if you bought them via Steam on Windows or Mac OS, and they are available for Linux, you can install them there without purchasing again (because the platform in that case is actually "Steam" and not "Linux").

The Humble Bundle delivery via Software Center was a special case done only for Humble Bundle, as Software Center doesn't have support for arbitrary values of payment decided by the purchaser rather than the seller.

share|improve this answer
I'm asking as a developer; Steam is not relevant to USC. – Václav Slavík Dec 9 '13 at 8:21
That's really not possible? So the only option would be refund or use an alternate repository with required authentication? Is it to be always the same or is there a plan to change it in the future? – Hibou57 Jun 7 '15 at 23:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.