I just upgraded and was excited to try Unity. I logged in normally, but got the following symptoms:
- Although my background image showed normally, all my icons and any windows I opened flickered in and out every few seconds
- I opened a Terminal window with a keyboard shortcut, but couldn't type anything in it
- I didn't see any menus for shutting down or logging out, so I had to do so with the power button
After rebooting, I tried Recovery Mode, but that eventually went to a black screen and did nothing else.
I succeeded in booting by doing this:
- Boot to "normal" Ubuntu (not Recovery Mode)
- Choose my user name
- While the password box is on the screen, choose "Ubuntu Classic" from the menu at the bottom
- Log in
Everything looks fine now, but I'm using GNOME and not Unity. How can I diagnose my issues with Unity and get it working?