I get this error when attempting to create a FAT32 partition with GParted:
mkdosfs: failed whilst writing FAT
I've tried creating a new partition table first, wiping the drive (with 0's), and formatting it ext2-4 before making it fat32. No dice.
Here are screenshots showing the error and drive information:
I'm getting a lot of questions in comments. Let me try to answer all of those and preempt more.
- The drive was previously a Mac OS X 'Time Machine' Backup drive, and was thus formatted with HFS+ with a GPT. This should not matter since I physically (as opposed to logically) wiped the drive with
- I have tried running the command manually without using GParted, I get the same error displayed in the above screenshot.
- The drive is a USB-powered portable drive (you can see more details in the drive information screenshot).
- I have (and am using) root permissions.
- I installed the latest version of GParted using the package manager.
- I am open to alternate solutions for formatting this drive as FAT32 that do not use GParted or mkdosfs. The end goal is to format the drive.