Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Currently I'm using a Dell Latitude E6430. I recently updated to to Ubuntu 13.10 (from 13.04). I installed the nvidia-319-updates/nvidia-settings-319-updates/nvidia-prime drivers (also tried the plain nvidia-319/nvidia-settings-319 drivers), disabled optimus, and was able to use multiple monitors with the dell dock (after creating some xrandr scripts).

However, after the latest round of updates everything stopped working. Now, whenever I boot the 80% of the screen is stuck on the blue FDE (full disk encryption) password screen, the other 20% will load an incredibly skewed login screen (compressed to a height of ~100-200 pixels, and the width of the screen). You can move the mouse and see that the screen is updating, it's just not legible at all.

  • In order to fix it, I have to do the following:
    • Shutdown
    • Startup (going to the BIOS)
    • Enable Optimus
    • Reboot
    • Boot up, enter FDE password
    • Wait until boot finishes (fails?), as I'm stuck on a blank screen
    • Shutdown
    • Startup (going to the BIOS)
    • Disable Optimus
    • Reboot
    • Starts up normally

I have to do this every time I restart the computer. Needless to say, it's rather annoying.

I've tried: re-re-installing lightdm, the nvidia drivers, etc..., and updating the BIOS to the latest version. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by bodhi.zazen, Warren Hill, minerz029, guntbert, Kevin Bowen Nov 20 '13 at 0:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Bug reports and problems with the development version of Ubuntu should be reported on Launchpad so that developers can see, track and fix these issues." – bodhi.zazen, Warren Hill, minerz029, guntbert, Kevin Bowen
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

    
Sounds like a bug - See askubuntu.com/questions/5121/how-do-i-report-a-bug –  bodhi.zazen Nov 18 '13 at 19:33
    
I thought that might be the case. I wanted to check here first. Thanks for taking time to comment. –  Daniel Hinton Nov 18 '13 at 19:36
    
    
It turns out the fix for this is actually pretty simple: Delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and use nvidia-xconfig to regenerate it. This fixed the problem upon restart. –  Daniel Hinton Nov 22 '13 at 23:39