Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I love Firefox's Rikaichan extension, it shows the meaning of Japanese kanjis when hovering the mouse over them.

I am writing a lot of text in Japanese, so to benefit from Rikaichan I edit in a HTML-textarea page I created locally. I open this page in a Firefox tab when I want to write a text. The problem is that the risks of loosing the text is high.

A better alternative would be a XUL-based (Firefox extension?) Notepad-like simple text editor.

Thunderbird is too heavy. Gmail's Compose window is not convenient and inserts undesirable carriage returns.


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I guess you could use Cloud9. However, since you edit the files on a local html area, I would recommend using Textarea Cache extension. It will avoid losing what you have typed in any textarea fields.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! I installed the Textarea Cache extension and will check it. – Nicolas Raoul May 8 '11 at 7:04
Finally using an HTML area and Textarea cache. – Nicolas Raoul May 31 '11 at 4:54
Glad to read it solved your problem. – lovinglinux Jun 1 '11 at 23:58

You may use a tiddlywiki. It is an HTML file with embedded javascript that allows modifications and stores them into itself. Or, if you prefer cloud solution - Google Docs. It also has an autosave feature.

share|improve this answer
+1 TiddlyWiki looks very promising, I tried it a bit and it seems to work, I will check a bit more how it saves things. I was afraid Google Docs would not be adapted for simple text (ex: try to bulletize my text-based lists) but it seems to behave correctly! – Nicolas Raoul Apr 27 '11 at 10:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.