FIXED AT BOTTOM
I just installed Ubuntu 13.10 from a live cd via Live Linux USB creator. It installed with no errors. I put an encryption password on the hard drive, then created my user account with a password. All of the installation was completed and the computer restarted. Back at the logon screen, I see "NedryOS", Guest, and Remote login. I click on NedryOS and enter my password and hit enter. In the space of less than a second the following happens:
- a loading circle appears in the password box. I assume this is normal.
- the login screen disappears and goes black. I have no idea if this is normal
- vertical white lines flash on the right side of the of the screen, about a third of the width of the screen then disappear
- very small white dots, or perhaps <10 pixel wide lines (definitely smaller than the text entry line that appears on the console) flash across the whole screen, but not in any apparent pattern
- the top two lines (character size lines i mean) appear with red lines across the width of the screen
- there are two beeps, that are very freaking loud, by the way. they are the same that happen when the login screen first appears.
- back to the logon screen.
Well, crap. Things I've tried so far:
- Guest session -- works normally, including internet access with firefox
- putting in an obviously wrong password -- "invalid password" appears
- restarting using this method (including remounting) setting the password to "1" -- same issue as before
- reinstalling Ubuntu 13.10 from the same usb drive with no hdd password -- same issue as before
This is the computer I have, with no modifications, and prior to installing Ubuntu, I completely wiped the drive. I also have full power and it's plugged in, so that's not it either. I have been searching askubuntu for responses for the same issue, and have only found solutions for people who lost their password, which I obviously did not if I was able to change it.
I will say that I am a first time user, so I've no idea if it's a pebkac error that is completely going over my head.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
I found this solution and it cleared some of the graphical errors. It does still return to the login screen, but here's what happens:
- enter correct password
- loading circle
- black screen with mouse
- black screen no mouse
- black screen with mouse
- login screen
Again, it takes only a few seconds, but there were no beeps this time. I will continue to search for solutions and update as I find them.
This solution also did not work for me. I performed both steps. I do not have a .Xauthority file, and my /tmp file now reads exactly as it says there. I am still experiencing the login loop.
I do not have a .Xauthority file, so no solutions involving that will work either.
So I'm not really sure this should really count as a fix, but whatever. I reinstalled Ubuntu 13.10 from the same disk and same file, but this time I checked one of the boxes that said login automatically. It logs in automatically now, and to make sure it worked completely, I locked it, and logged back in fine, then logged out and logged back in fine. I'm not really sure I won't have the issue again later.
Based on the number of login loop posts, I would recommend trying all of the other solutions above before this, because in the long run, those should work while this might not.