I am running into a booting issue after installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS. Following is the symptom of the problem.
- Dual core AMD Athlon 64
- 3 Disks: two SATA (out of which one is SSD) and one PATA. Using LVM for disk partition management. /boot is not under LVM rest of the partitions are. / is on the SSD
- BIOS boot sequence is correct and points to the disk with /boot and boot loader is installed on this disk.
- POST messages
- Blinking cursor on first line then moves to second line
- Screen flickers then becomes black
- Everything is unresponsive, hard reboot
- POST messages will not show up on screen.
- Monitor displays powersave message
- Force shutdown machine again.
- Shutoff power to machine for a few minutes.
- Restart machine.
- POST message show up.
- Grub menu shows up
- Ubuntu server 12.04 boots normally.
- From now on Ubuntu server boots normally until machine is shutdown for a long time (for example, 30 mins)
- Repeat steps 1 through 13 once the machine is started after a long time.
WHAT DID I TRY?
I read several posts and have tried:
- setting the gfxmode
- edd=0 nolacpi
Nothing seems to work. In my search I did see only one post with this same symptom. Unfortunately, I am not being able to locate that post anymore.
The interesting fact is that with this same machine configuration, if I install Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 then everything works fine.
Any help will be appreciated.