Alright, I've read just about every thread on the internet for this, but I can't seem to get it working, and I'm at my wits end.
I've got a laptop, a Dell Inspiron B130 running kubuntu (which /etc/issue claims is 10.04.2, but I have fully upgraded at this point), and up until a couple weeks ago, the headphones worked just fine. You'd plug them in, and the speakers would shut off, and the headphones would turn on. You'd pull them out, and the speakers would turn back on. Then, one day, I plugged the headphones in, and the speakers shut off, but the headphones would not turn on. I tried following the instructions on HdaIntelSoundHowto:
user@computer:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec Codec: SigmaTel STAC9200 Codec: Conexant ID 2bfa user@computer:~$ lspci | grep Audio 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
... and tried every 'dell' option under STAC9200 in the HD-audio-models list, along with 'auto', in my
options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m21, etc.).
After each one, my headphones would work ONCE. The next time I unplugged them, they would never work again, until I tried a new model (going back to a previous one wouldn't work).
Then, I ran out of models, and my headphones stopped working. Figuring that maybe I needed an upgrade, I tried that, and they worked again - one last time.
Now, I'm stuck, and I have no idea where else to turn.