I have a fresh Dual Boot system (UEFI, Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 13.04). Ubuntu boots fine (from a SSD on SATA Port 3). However, once I connect a hard disk (to SATA Port 1), Ubuntu will boot only once and then will lockup after Grub (Blank screen, no messages) after further reboots. In the first (working) boot, the hard disk is recognized and working just fine (it is formatted as NTFS). Windows boots without problems with the additional hard disk attached and reports no problems whatsoever. The only way I can get Ubuntu to boot again after the first connect is to disable the SATA port in the BIOS.
- Harddrive physically detached: Both Ubuntu and Windows boot fine
- Harddrive then connected: Both Ubuntu and Windows boot fine
- Reboot, Hardrive connected: Ubuntu does not boot, Windows boots
- Disable SATA1-Port: Ubuntu boots again
- Enable SATA1- Port: Ubuntu won't boot
It is very strange. While I cannot be absolutly positive that the hard disk is ok, i am pretty sure.
Is there any chance that I can get some error log out of Ubuntu for the last boot attempt. Perhaps someone can give me a hint on how to debug this issue?