I have been using setrlimit with the R programming language for several versions of Ubuntu. However after upgrading to 13.10, very strange things started happening.
First I started noticing that Apache2 was hitting
RLIMIT_NPROC which was set to 50, even though Apache actually only seemed to have a couple of processes. See more detail in this thread. I assumed it was a problem related to the upgrade of Apache 2.2 to Apache 2.4.
However now I am also experiencing strange things with
RLIMIT_AS. In my application I set
RLIMIT_AS to 1e9 (1GB) for each process, which should be more than enough. However I am randomly getting out of memory errors.
Has something changed between kernel 3.8 and 3.11 in the way