Well this has been an adventure. I had seen this MintForum thread before but ignored it mainly because it was talking about
bonobo (which is frankly a silly word) but also because the applet in discussion was the MintMenu.
I decided to go back there today and actually read it. plumm's post has given me a few clues and has actually got a few things working (after some modification). Here's what I'm doing. Until I've got everything back this post is a work in progress.
First you have to locate your
# locate bonobo-activation-config
Then we find where all the applets' bonobo-server-item-configuration files are:
# locate bonobo/server | grep GNOME
Then we put the two together, creating new xml
<items> in the
bonobo-activation-config.xml. We only need the common path so there are only two things to carry. Here's my finished file:
After a restart everything but
GNOME_ClockApplet has loaded back up.
More on this when I've fixed it.