I have a laptop with a single Intel 80GB SSD. I originaly only had W7, but installed Ubuntu on a small partition of this disk. Recently I wanted to expand the partition containing Ubuntu and so booted up from a USB to run Gparted from there. The idea was to resize the W7 partition and use this extra space for my Ubuntu partition. I had:
Windows partition 61GB Ubuntu partition 9,3GB Linux-Swap 4GB
Resizing the W7 partition using Gparted went fine, which gave me some unallocated disk space. I now needed to move this unallocated space next to my ubuntu partition. To do this I deleted the swap disk used by Ubuntu in order to expand the Ubuntu partition in to this area of the hard drive. Which means I had:
Windows partition 56,17GB Unallocated 4,88GB Ubuntu partition 9,3GB Unallocated 4GB
I then used then used the unallocated space from the Windows partition as a new swap disk:
Windows partition 56,17GB Linux-Swap 4,88GB Ubuntu partition 9,3GB Unallocated 4GB
And at last I wanted to extend my ubuntu partition to include the now unallocated space from the old swap. This is where I had trouble.
I tried do resize the Ubuntu partition in Gparted, but got an error message that I did not save. The Ubuntu partition did grow however and according to Gparted I now have:
Windows partition 56,17GB Linux-Swap 4,88GB Ubuntu partition 13,5GB
The problem is that the additional 4GB in the Ubuntu partition don't show up, it is as if I gained 4GB, but that these 4GB are being used by some file. When running
df -h the partition is still being listed as 9,3GB and not 13,5GB as in Gparted.
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda5 9,3G 7,5G 1,3G 86% / none 4,0K 0 4,0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup udev 2,0G 12K 2,0G 1% /dev tmpfs 393M 864K 392M 1% /run none 5,0M 0 5,0M 0% /run/lock none 2,0G 488K 2,0G 1% /run/shm none 100M 36K 100M 1% /run/user /dev/sda1 57G 44G 13G 79% /media/OS
I wanted to post an image of Disk Utility, but as this is my first question I'm not allowed. It does show the partition as being 14GB however.
I have tried using
fstrim -v /, but this didn't seem to help.
GParted 0.12.1 --enable-libparted-dmraid Libparted 2.3 Check and repair file system (ext4) on /dev/sda5 00:00:04 ( ERROR ) calibrate /dev/sda5 00:00:00 ( SUCCESS ) path: /dev/sda5 start: 128,047,104 end: 156,301,311 size: 28,254,208 (13.47 GiB) check file system on /dev/sda5 for errors and (if possible) fix them 00:00:04 ( SUCCESS ) e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda5 Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes Pass 2: Checking directory structure Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity Pass 4: Checking reference counts Pass 5: Checking group summary information 234643 inodes used (37.27%, out of 629552) 332 non-contiguous files (0.1%) 596 non-contiguous directories (0.3%) # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0 Extent depth histogram: 185927/200 1840791 blocks used (73.84%, out of 2492928) 0 bad blocks 0 large files 144531 regular files 20184 directories 57 character device files 25 block device files 0 fifos 30 links 69834 symbolic links (48423 fast symbolic links) 3 sockets ------------ 234664 files e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012) grow file system to fill the partition 00:00:00 ( ERROR ) resize2fs /dev/sda5 resize2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012) resize2fs: /dev/sda5: The combination of flex_bg and !resize_inode features is not supported by resize2fs.