To install the Latest 0 A.D. - (Alpha 16) - on Ubuntu from Precise to Utopic, add its official ppa:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install 0ad
The above ppa, supports the following versions of Ubuntu: Utopic (14.10), Trusty (14.04), Saucy (13.10), Quantal (12.10), Precise (12.04).
Note: Saucy currently sports the latest version. To receive the latest version in the future, you still need this ppa.
What is 0 A.D.
"0 A.D. (pronounced "zero ey-dee") is a free, open-source,
cross-platform real-time strategy (RTS) game of ancient warfare. In
short, it is a historically-based war/economy game that allows players
to relive or rewrite the history of Western civilizations, focusing on
the years between 500 B.C. and 500 A.D. The project is highly
ambitious, involving state-of-the-art 3D graphics, detailed artwork,
sound, and a flexible and powerful custom-built game engine." - Wildfire Games
0 A.D. is a free and open-source rts game for a variety of Linux distributions(also available for Mac and Windows) including Debian/Arch/Slackware etc... etc... etc....
But, its still in alpha stage! although its a fun game to play, even for an alpha, its still has certain bugs such as lag, sound bugs, Retina display issues on OS X, Missing Animations, and so one, There for, it lacks the sheer joy of a stable game.
Below are feature that are available for 0 A.D. Alpha 14 Naukratis
- Cross-platform: 0 A.D. is set to run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
- Unique civilizations: In 0 A.D. each civilization is unique in its appearance and gameplay, including units, structures, and technology trees.
- Citizen soldiers: Some infantry and cavalry units can not only fight, but also gather resources and construct buildings, making them substantially more versatile than in typical RTS games.
- Combat experience matters: The more time your citizen soldiers spend fighting your enemies, the higher they go up the ranks. With each rank, they become stronger, but they also get worse at civilian tasks.
- Technology tradeoffs: Some technologies are arranged in pairs, and within each pair, you can only research one technology at most in each game. This choice is irreversible, so choose carefully!
- Unit formations: Arrange your units in historical battle formations from the Phalanx to the Testudo and gain bonuses, such as increased armor. However, beware the costs that may come with them, such as lower speed! (As of August 2012, this feature has not been implemented yet.)
Realism and Authenticity
- Real world map realism: Random maps are based upon real geography of the ancient world with realistic plants, animals and terrain.
- Authentic historical details: Designs of units, buildings and technologies all reflect the hallmarks of each civilization. We even give them names in the original ancient Greek, Latin, Punic, Celtic, etc.
- Lifelike naval warfare: Ships will be on a much larger and more lifelike scale than seen in other games. They will move more realistically and even be able to ram other ships. (As of August 2012, this feature has not been implemented yet.)
Create Your Own Worlds
- Powerful map editor: Draw landscapes with a palette of hundreds of terrains, build majestic cities and set the position of the sun in the Atlas Editor, your tool to design intricately detailed maps in 0 A.D.
- Excellent moddability: From new computer opponent behaviors to extra civilizations, easily create your own modifications (mods) of 0 A.D. by editing game files, all freely available in standard, open formats.
There are also some Planned features that are still in the making, if your curiosity is tickled, give it a read.
Processor: 1 GHz Intel or x86 compatible
Memory: At least 512 MB
Graphics Card: Any supporting OpenGL 1.3 with 3D hardware accelerated
drivers and at least 128 MB memory, e.g., Radeon 9000, GeForce 3, or
Screen resolution: 1024×768 or above
For in depth articles with screen-shots, please see:
WEB UPD8: Free RTS Game 0 A.D. Sees New Alpha Release
OMG! UBUNTU!: Historical Strategy Game 0 A.D. Looks to Crowdfunding for Future Development
Dedoimedo: 0 A.D. - Ancient civilizations clash, for free
The article from dedoimedo.com is from 2012, but, still a good read, with some in-game screenshot
According to this question on meta:
Anyone interested in a regularly scheduled, multiplayer game of 0 A.D.?
People will be hosting 0 A.D. for the askubuntu users to:
bring the community together while still having a great time.
0 A.D. alpha 0.0.14 Naukratis Gameplay [Part 1]
0 A.D. alpha 0.0.14 Naukratis Gameplay [Part 2]
YouTube page: play0ad(official)
Released: 0 A.D. Alpha 15 Osiris
0 A.D. Alpha 16 Patañjali
These are the planned release dates, but, they usually get out when its ready!
official release page: IndieGoGo Crowdfunding Campaign, New Release: Alpha 14 Naukratis