Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Obviously the installation CD could use the Ethernet connection.
However, it didn't install/configure it.

ifconfig -a only reports a 'lo' interface.

Fortunately, the usb device works...
Couldn't it be possible to copy the device from the installation CD?

$ nm-tool
NetworkManager Tool

State: disconnected
$ sudo lspci -nnk | grep -A10 -i network
0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:0007]
        Kernel driver in use: wl
        Kernel modules: wl, ssb

OK, and the Ethernet controller is BCM4401-B0 (from grepping 14e4 in the output of lspci -vvnn)
Followed another thread which sent me to look at the content of /etc/network/interfaces There was only lo. So I added there eth0, and restarted the networking service. But it is now in stop/waiting mode...
Skipping service and using directly the init.d script is clearer:

Cannot find device "eth0"

Checked my box at work, and surprise: there's no eth0 interface defined in /etc/network/interfaces, which doesn't prevent ifconfig -a from reporting one... Removed the 'auto eth0' I had previously added, which allows the restart but solves nothing. OK... now the LAN is not plugged.

share|improve this question
Could you also add nm-tool and sudo lspci -nnk | grep -A10 -i network output? – Braiam Sep 24 '13 at 22:10
Ok, could you edit your question, add the information there and delete the comments, I can't read a thing like that. – Braiam Sep 25 '13 at 12:15
Again, edit the question and add the information there. Do not use comments! – Braiam Sep 25 '13 at 17:50
This is called comments. Where you are writing and I'm are called comments. The button says "Add Comment". If you need to add information you edit the question. Read this – Braiam Sep 25 '13 at 17:54

Got my ethernet connection, from the answer to another user's question.
I guess the instrumental bit was:

sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source  

Even if this didn't complete, I believe it did remove the blacklist file which prevented the access to the drivers.
I believe this is a major bug in the installer: potential users 'try' ubuntu, check that it seems to work, then 'install' it and get cornered into a non-working system.
I'm surprised it doesn't get fixed after multiple people (probably 1%--the other 99% being thrown back to Windows) repeatedly report it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.