I tried both deb and .run file ways but they yield the same problem. My display card is GT630m, on my laptop. After the installation, everything works but the GUI is missing launcher and menu bars, only a bare desktop is displayed after login... It seems that its not a unity configuration problem, I tried sth. like this: menu bar and launcher missing in ubuntu 13.04 but it still doesn't work.
For the .deb install method, I follow the steps in http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-getting-started-guide-for-linux/index.html#package-manager-installation ;
For the .run file install method, I do the installation in the following steps, which successes on another laptop of mine, with display card GT750m and ubuntu 12.10:
- add previous open source drive Nouveau into blacklist: sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf add line: blacklist nouveau
- set init mode as text: sudo vi /etc/default/grub modify: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text" # initially it is set to be "quiet splash" write and quit, then: sudo update-grub then restart the systerm to enter a state without GUI.
- update linux headers: sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
- install cuda: sudo ./cuda-5.5.11_linux_64.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-headers-3.5.0-34-generic
- reset GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub
- add environmental variables: sudo vi ~/.profile add lines: PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/cuda-5.5/bin LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/cuda-5.5/lib64:/lib export PATH export LD_LIBRARY_PATH write and quit, then: source .profile
- Install OpenGL Developer Driver. To prepare for compiling the OpenGL code samples in the CUDA SDK, we'll have to install the OpenGL developer environment as well.: sudo apt-get install libxi-dev libxmu-dev libglu-dev libx11-dev freeglut3-dev
- try nvcc: enter the sdk routine, and make.
Is there someone who can help me?