I have a problem which i am unable to solve for about 2 years and its the reason i am not using Ubuntu as much as i would like to. I am no networking expert so some user friendly or newbie answers would be great but any help would be appreciated (i will google more info when i am pointed at right direction). This problem persists for me for a very long time, and i was experiencing it on my notebook and second computer too. I have no problem on a different operating system. The problem is only with Ubuntu. I cannot really say what is causing this but sometimes it just starts working and after few days its broken again (in the last half of the year it worked just once).
For example if i try to open youtube there are two possible scenarios that can occur besides that rare one which just loads the site as it should or as it is loading on different operating system. First one is that it has a very long load time and after that i get a blank page. The second more common scenario is that the page loads without css styles (just plain html code). If the page loads without css as a plain html than the video is represented by a black rectangle representing the flash plugin. Which works just fine except loading the video source. Youtube is not that big of the deal for me. I can live without that on my ubuntu system but this problem happens with other sites too. This website or Ubuntu forums included. There are many more bugged like this. Basically like 2/3 or at least half of pages i want to load which is really frustrating and most of the time i just quit ubuntu and boot up other operating system. From the head right now i can think of imdb.com as an diferent example of this weirdness. Right now this current site loaded fast but as a plain html without any styles. The last time it worked fine if i remember correctly was when i was using ubuntu 10.10 or something like that. Right now i am at 12.10 64bit (don't really want to update it to 13.04 for now since last updating did not ended up very good and i ended up formmating the drive).
I was searching for a solution for a very long time during that years this was bugged for me and still i am unable to resolve this. If someone can help me or at least point me at some direction that would guide me to the solution, i would be really thankful to that person. If you need to know something specific than just ask. Thanks for any help. PS: Sorry for my bad English.
Editing this file:
sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
And changing this:
nameserver 184.108.40.206 nameserver 220.127.116.11
Helped untill rebooting the system (when i changed it again it worked again), at least on the sites i was beeing able to try. I am not really sure what it does or if it is wise to edit it but for now its at least somewhat better than before. If this can bring some light to the problem and someone can find a propper solution that i would be able to follow, it would be just great. I will wait for it for a while and also to make sure it did not stop working like it did when it worked just by itself for some time. If not than i will mark it as solved and accept the answer.
Its a bit buggy but looks like it works. It never worked this long before. Since i edited that file i am getting "System program problem detected" this error. Never seen it before and it dont say anything specific (just allows me to close it). But besides that and a fact that youtube loads without thumbnail images (404 error) i did not notice anything else. Its not ideal but i can live with that. I am going to mark it as solved.
UPDATE3: Some time has passed, it still works but that "System program problem detected" error still persists. I've created alias to change it and saved it inside
as an link to the .bash_aliases. However I don't even need to call it. It gets called automatically on the system start-up. I don't like it like that but I can live with that. Here is the alias if someone looks for that
alias webfix="sudo sed -i 'nameserver 127.0.1.1,nameserver 18.104.22.168d' /etc/resolv.conf"