Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and everything is working well except my external monitor. It's somewhat glitchy when I move windows around in it. Also, its resolution is lower than it should be. It's currently at 1024 x 768 (the highest resolution option in the "displays" setting window), but it should be 1200 or so in width.

Here is my graphics/driver information:

My driver is Intel Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2. (From the "Details" section of the settings)

Also, when I typed "lspci | grep VGA" into the terminal, I got this: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

I'm thinking that I have incorrect or out of date drivers. My problem, though, is I don't know how or where to find the correct drivers. I spent a lot of time installing an Intel Driver Repository only to run it and find out that my distribution (Ubuntu 12.04) is not supported.

I hear there are ways of forcing the repository to update your drivers, but it requires using PPAs, which I've heard are risky.

I also went to and did a search for ironlake, which brought up some links. They're possibly the drivers I'm looking for, but I don't know if they're the right ones and I don't want to mess anything up by just installing things willy nilly (also, I'm not super clear on how I would go about installing them in the first place).

I know there are a lot of similar issues on here, so I won't be surprised if this gets no response. But I'd really like to get my Ubuntu system up and running nicely, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

I'll keep looking around for other solutions. Hopefully I don't ruin anything.

Thanks, Blake

share|improve this question

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.