I had 7 or 8 tries in the past two days to install ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop with windows 8 pre-installed. I encountered a series of problems and I found some of them exist in other versions (such as Ubuntu 13.04 with windows 7) systems too.
Here is a list of problems I had:
Since I installed ubuntu 12.04 with a live CD, it wasn't detecting Windows 8, which I believe it should do. Install guide provided two options:
- Erase the hard drive and install Ubuntu;
- Other options.
- (Sometimes also detecting installed ubuntu system while sometimes not.)
After installing Ubuntu, there was no grub menu to choose. And I installed grub-customizer for checking - no entry for windows system as expected apparently for the problem 1.
Install and run boot-repair will fix a part of the problem, but there would be 2 possible results:
- we get both entries for ubuntu and windows 8, and all seems running well. But after once or twice reboot, computer will show
"no such disk: xxxx grub rescue>";
An artical said this happens when enable both EFI mode and Legacy mode then I switched off legacy mode, which didn't help.
- here we get an entry for windows in grub menu, but no entry for ubuntu anyway.
- nvidia-current cannot be installed by system recommend for some reasons (I think) as lack of source/headers by default, so need to run
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-genericto fix;
My laptop has one hard disk (/dev/sda) and it's not possible to install grub2 by additional command
/dev/sda (returns error message). And also reports warning "The boot file is too far from head of disk, your system probably will not detect it", then suggests partition for /boot (which I'm sure I had such one partition).
Now I removed ubuntu from windows, and encountered "grub-rescue" when reboot. Then I rebooted and switched on "secure boot", it boots directly into windows now.
Just for a few more, when installing ubuntu, I had UEFI settings as:
- Secure boot: disabled;
- Legacy support: enabled by default, and disabled it after several tries;
So here are my questions:
Why ubuntu install system didn't detect Windows 8? (it also happens in installing version 13.04)
How to fix the problem happens with grub? (replace it or fix it? and why it happened?)
Will it be possible to dual boot ubuntu alongside with windows on exactly one disk?
Thanks a lot.
run "lsblk" in "try ubuntu":