My PC is HP Pavilion P6-2390. I am a beginer in Ubuntu. So explain it simple and as detailed as possible (with pictures if you can).
So here is what I did.
- Made a Live USB like shown on Ubuntu website.
- Plug it in. Changed the boot order to UEFI: Sandisk ....
- Did nothing to BIOS. So it is still in UEFI and Secure Boot.
- So I installed it on a partition of 20GB that I made in Win 8. Used the "Something Else" option and made the "Swap Area" and root partiton.
- Installed it and after I restarted it I got this screen:
So I did the boot-repair instructions on the other posts. - It says "EFI detected!" and gave me this link: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6049761/ . - After pressing Yes and Agree and all, it ask me to disable Secure Boot. - So I disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy. It didn't work. I also disable Legacy, it still didn't work. - Somehow I got into Windows recovery thing and reinstalled Win 8. But it still didn't fix the issue. Ubuntu partition is still there.
So here is how I run my computer now. (I somehow figured this myself)
- Right after I start my computer, I press Esc to show "Startup Menu".
- Then I go "Run UEFI Application...".
- Then a "File Browser" pops up. Then I go HDD -> EFI -> ubuntu -> grubx64.efi to get to grub. (imgur.com/a/2zaCm) (shim64.efi also seems to work the same way).
- From Grub I choose "Windows Boot UEFI loader", to start Windows 8.
I also can get to Ubuntu from Grub.
I cannot post more than 2 links because I am new.
Please help me to either install Ubuntu correctly without affecting Win 8 or remove it safetly?