VMWARE-VIX command "vmrun" failing
I have checked in the online resources of the product documentation, and in discussion groups where other people experience the same issue.
I have the following configuration
- Ubuntu 13.04 (x64)
- VMware Player 6.0
- VMware-VIX API 1.12.2
... and when I try to run the command in the format:
- vmrun -T player start /path/vm.vmx
I get an error:
*Unable to connect to host. Error: The specified version was not found.*
Forum proposed solution:
- others with the same issue claimed the solution was to edit a file
- to add / modify the line (to ensure it has your correct version of VM player)
- player 16 vmdb 6.0.0 Workstation-10.0.0-and-vSphere-5.5.0
... but when I open the player, it seems that I do already have v6.0.0 (according to the "help > about" menu item in the player GUI.
... so if it is not the wrong version in that config file ... what is causing the problem?
- when I try to run the command instead as just:
$ vmrun start /path/vm.vmx (without the -T and "player" host type specification)
... I get the error:
- Service type VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_WORKSTATION was specified, but not installed
So is this indication that it thinks I have installed workstation instead of player?
How can I change that?