I have a Windows 8 preinstalled Dell 15r 5521 laptop.
- I created a bootable USB using "Universal USB installer" but did not give any persistent storage space.
- Next, I created a free space (15000 MB) by shrinking a volume on my HDD. I did not make any changes to secure UEFI as I dont know what is it.
- Then, I booted from usb and selected the Something Else option. Also, the menu does not show the "Install alongside Windows 8 option"; don't know why.
- I created a swap area of 1500 MB with "logical partition" and then used the remaining free space as a primary partition and chose "Ext4 journaling file system" and mount point
- Then, I installed Ubuntu on this partition. It installed correctly, but when I restarted the laptop, it automatically loaded Windows 8. No boot menu was displayed. when I tried to reinstall Ubuntu 13.04 I found that Ubuntu is already installed; it occupies 3-4 GB out of 15 GB of space. When I try to access G: drive (Ubuntu drive) it shows "you need to format the disk in drive G: before you use it" error msg.
What should I do. Please help.