I have many trouble installing Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 (the same holds for Ubuntu 12.04) on my new desktop PC which I will describe in the following.
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4570
- Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3
- RAM: 8GB G.Skill 1333MHz CL9
- Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC
- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1000GB
Problems / what I have done so far
- I installed Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 next to my Windows 7 partition via Ubuntu live USB
- Problem: Grub did not load. Instead Windows 7 boots.
- I used Boot-Repair to install Grub correctly. Here is the output.
- Problem: Grub loads and I can select Ubuntu for booting, but then my monitor turns off and nothing happens.
- I replaced the Grub boot parameters "quiet splash" by "text nomodeset"
- Problem: Ubuntu boots, but X does not start. Instead, I get access to the shell.
- I executed "apt-get dist-upgrade", installed "nvidia-current" and the Ubuntu mainline kernels "v3.5-quantal" and "v3.10-saucy" for testing.
- Problem: nothing changed.
- I tried running "startx" and "service gdm start".
- Problem: Ubuntu freezes completely.
I have no idea what to do now, because Ubuntu does not show any error at booting. It just does not finish booting.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!