Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to type a hair space (u200a) and a thin space (u2009) in Ubuntu without entering the Unicode code? Something with the Compose key?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Got it! Keyboard preferences > Layouts > Options... > Using space key to input non-breakable space character > Non-breakable space at third level, thin non-breakable space at fourth level.

(The fourth level is called the same way as the third plus Shift. To set the 3rd level switch, go to Keyboard preferences > Layouts > Options... > Key to chose 3rd level.)

share|improve this answer
The hair space still to be found, but I probably want too much in the everyday typography. – texnic May 26 '11 at 16:05
What do levels mean? – jonallard Aug 23 '13 at 21:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.